Should We Incorporate?

Neighborhood Associations are considered a statewide non-profit organization and as such should be incorporated. This is done simply by filling out the Articles of Incorporation paperwork at the Oklahoma Secretary of State’s office, State Capitol, 2300 N. Lincoln Blvd., Room 101, between the hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm. Take your by-laws and a list of your officers’ names and addresses with you to aid in filling out the paperwork. You will need to update the agent of record with the Secretary of  State when leadership changes.

The Oklahoma Secretary of State can be contacted by phone at 1-900-825-2424. A cost of $5.00 will be billed to your phone bill. They can also be contacted free-of-charge at (405) 522-4560 for simple questions.

Remember, incorporation is a state designation only, and does not mean your neighborhood association will be a charity. Donations made to the neighborhood association will not be tax deductible.

Neighborhood associations do not qualify to be designated a charity with the Federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS), as they are considered “self-serving”, meaning that the general area of concern is the benefit of the individual neighborhood. While there are some associations that have maintained this status from years past, this is no longer a designation the IRS will endow.